IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much memory is needed for Dragon software?, Has Sony ICD-SX25 but won't work on MAC?
veritasca
post Sep 12 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,000

Hi,

I found your web site and saw that you had posted a review on this digital recorder.
I just bought it and was trying to use this weekend but ran into several problems:

1) I have a Mac OSX (Powerbook G4) with Vitual PC and was able to install the Digital Voice Recorder software just fine.
2) But when I tried to hook up the Voice Recorder machine to my Mac using the USB port, the Digital Voice Recorder couldn’t “see it”
3) I have a PC at home, so I redid the install of Digital Voice Recorder software and it was able to see the Voice Recorder without any problems. However, when I tried to install the Dragon Naturally Speaking software, it complained that there is not enough RAM. I tried to look in the specs to find out what’s enough, but couldn’t find anything. I have 512MB of RAM on my Mac but probably Virtual PC is eating up much of it.

Has anyone been able to use this Sony ICS-SX25 model on a MAC with Virtual PC emulation?

Do you know what’s the RAM required to install the Dragon Naturally Speaking software?

I will call Sony too, but just though I’d check. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
veritasca
post Sep 12 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #2

I am wondering if this product would meet my needs better:
Digital Voice Recorder Transcription KitFS-85USB

Rather than using ICD-SX25?

+Quote Post
Navneet
post Sep 13 2005, 01:51 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,033

QUOTE(veritasca @ Sep 13 2005, 01:12 AM)
Hi,

I found your web site and saw that you had posted a review on this digital recorder.
I just bought it and was trying to use this weekend but ran into several problems:

1) I have a Mac OSX (Powerbook G4) with Vitual PC and was able to install the Digital Voice Recorder software just fine.
FOR DRAGON TO WORK WITH MAC YOU NEED TO HAVE VIRTUAL PC LOADED ON IT....HOWEVER IF YOU HAVE LOADED VIRTUAL PC JUST FOR THE USE OF SPEECH RECOGNTION PURPOSE TRY THE IBM VIAVOICE THEY HAVE A MAC COMPATIBLE SOLUTION...DRAGON ONLY SUPPORTS WINDOWS.

2) But when I tried to hook up the Voice Recorder machine to my Mac using the USB port, the Digital Voice Recorder couldn’t “see it”

3) I have a PC at home, so I redid the install of Digital Voice Recorder software and it was able to see the Voice Recorder without any problems.  However, when I tried to install the Dragon Naturally Speaking software, it complained that there is not enough RAM.  I tried to look in the specs to find out what’s enough, but couldn’t find anything.  I have 512MB of RAM on my Mac but probably Virtual PC is eating up much of it.
IDEAL FOR DRAGON WHILE USING ON A WINDOW BASED SYSTEM, YOU NEED ATLEAST 512 RAM (CONSIDER THIS MINIMUM). I AM SURE THE VIRTUAL PC IS EATING MUCH OF THE RAM CAPACITY.

Has anyone been able to use this Sony ICS-SX25 model on a MAC with Virtual PC emulation?
I AM USING SONY ICS-SX25 WITH WINDOWS, I CAN SWEAR BY THE PERFORMANCE

Do you know what’s the RAM required to install the Dragon Naturally Speaking software?
FOR WINDOWS 512MB RAM IS MINIMUM.

I AM NOT EVEN HALF AS TECHNICALLY QUALIFIED AS MANY OF THE DUDES HERE.....THIS ARE MY VIEWS....PLS CONSIDER SECOND OPINION.

REGARDS
NAVS, Mumbai

I will call Sony too, but just though I’d check.  Thanks.
[right][snapback]212539[/snapback][/right]

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Sep 14 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,486
Where are you Located: Williamsburg, Virginia

Hi,

FOR DRAGON TO WORK WITH MAC YOU NEED TO HAVE VIRTUAL PC LOADED ON IT....HOWEVER IF YOU HAVE LOADED VIRTUAL PC JUST FOR THE USE OF SPEECH RECOGNTION PURPOSE TRY THE IBM VIAVOICE THEY HAVE A MAC COMPATIBLE SOLUTION...DRAGON ONLY SUPPORTS WINDOWS.

Yep, Dragon hasn't had a mac product since 'power secretary'... And I've never seen it work inside of Virtual PC, or Wine on a Linux box... Dragon is really geared to working within Windows... IBM has a solution, but it's not as powerful as Dragon as far as features. But Maybe you could elaborate - if you're using IBM...

I got a feeling the Sony's software is setup to work with Windows... That's where you'll have to correspond with Sony...

3) I have a PC at home, so I redid the install of Digital Voice Recorder software and it was able to see the Voice Recorder without any problems.  However, when I tried to install the Dragon Naturally Speaking software, it complained that there is not enough RAM.  I tried to look in the specs to find out what’s enough, but couldn’t find anything.  I have 512MB of RAM on my Mac but probably Virtual PC is eating up much of it.
IDEAL FOR DRAGON WHILE USING ON A WINDOW BASED SYSTEM, YOU NEED ATLEAST 512 RAM (CONSIDER THIS MINIMUM). I AM SURE THE VIRTUAL PC IS EATING MUCH OF THE RAM CAPACITY.

I'd say 512 for a pc is a minimum now-a-days... Many here would tell you you're going to need a gig for your pc. I don't have any info on the mac....

I AM USING SONY ICS-SX25 WITH WINDOWS, I CAN SWEAR BY THE PERFORMANCE

I don't have any mac/sony experience, so if anyone else does... Great. BTW I swear at my computer now and then also - but it doesn't get it to work any better!

FOR WINDOWS 512MB RAM IS MINIMUM.

512 on a windows box should be fine, but I'd up that to 1024...

I AM NOT EVEN HALF AS TECHNICALLY QUALIFIED AS MANY OF THE DUDES HERE.....
the voicerecognition.com forum has both dudes and dudettes! I'm glad they all come here and participate!

--------------------

+Quote Post
veritasca
post Sep 14 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Ingram @ Sep 14 2005, 12:56 PM)
Hi,

Yep, Dragon hasn't had a mac product since 'power secretary'...  And I've never seen it work inside of Virtual PC, or Wine on a Linux box...  Dragon is really geared to working within Windows...  IBM has a solution, but it's not as powerful as Dragon as far as features.  But Maybe you could elaborate - if you're using IBM...
I got a feeling the Sony's software is setup to work with Windows... That's where you'll have to correspond with Sony...
I'd say 512 for a pc is a minimum now-a-days...  Many here would tell you you're going to need a gig for your pc.  I don't have any info on the mac....
I don't have any mac/sony experience, so if anyone else does... Great.  BTW  I swear at my computer now and then also - but it doesn't get it to work any better!
512 on a windows box should be fine, but I'd up that to 1024...

the voicerecognition.com forum has both dudes and dudettes!  I'm glad they all come here and participate!
[right][snapback]212570[/snapback][/right]

+Quote Post
veritasca
post Sep 14 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #6

Thanks for all the great feedback.
I did contact Sony and alas, I won't be able to use this recorder on my MAC.
But the interesting thing is that I did install both the Digital Recorder Editor and Dragon on one of my PCs and the Editor installed just fine, but the Dragon software kept saying that it doesn't have enough memory.
According to the Sony Technical Support rep it's because I may have an anti-virus software running and I have to disable that otherwise Dragon will throw that error.
This is just FYI.
Also I checked into Via Voice and they do have a Mac OS version but unfortunately it doesn't have the feature that transcribes directly from the digital recorder like their Windows version can. So, I am out of luck there too.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Sep 15 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #7

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,486
Where are you Located: Williamsburg, Virginia

QUOTE(veritasca @ Sep 14 2005, 08:15 PM)
Thanks for all the great feedback.
I did contact Sony and alas, I won't be able to use this recorder on my MAC.
But the interesting thing is that I did install both the Digital Recorder Editor and Dragon on one of my PCs and the Editor installed just fine, but the Dragon software kept saying that it doesn't have enough memory.
According to the Sony Technical Support rep it's because I may have an anti-virus software running and I have to disable that otherwise Dragon will throw that error.
This is just FYI.
Also I checked into Via Voice and they do have a Mac OS version but unfortunately it doesn't have the feature that transcribes directly from the digital recorder like their Windows version can.  So, I am out of luck there too.
[right][snapback]212573[/snapback][/right]

Correct, the Mac-flavored IBM software doesn't have the feature set that Dragon Does...

If you want to look into alternatives for the Mac, there's: (by plugging iMac Speech into google...)

MacSpeechi

I have no idea about the product's quality or features, but this is a speech product for a Mac. It might be based on a Philips speech engine...

Hope that helps...

--------------------

+Quote Post
veritasca
post Sep 15 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #8

Thanks, John. I checked out MacSpeech and they do have a Transcription software, but I checked with the support person and he said that it won't work well with the Sony recorders!
Also, I want to use the recorder to capture speeches at conferences, etc. and then transcribe them into text, but there is an article on the Knowledge Base on MacSpeech web site that said it won't really work for that. Oh, well, it's worth the search! Thank you again for referring me to this software.

+Quote Post
Navneet
post Sep 21 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,033

I think Olympus recorders have a mac solution.

Regards
Navs

QUOTE(veritasca @ Sep 15 2005, 11:01 PM)
Thanks, John.  I checked out MacSpeech and they do have a Transcription software, but I checked with the support person and he said that it won't work well with the Sony recorders!
Also, I want to use the recorder to capture speeches at conferences, etc. and then transcribe them into text, but there is an article on the Knowledge Base on MacSpeech web site that said it won't really work for that.  Oh, well, it's worth the search!  Thank you again for referring me to this software.
[right][snapback]212586[/snapback][/right]

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 07:26 AM

We Recommend Using Dragon Medical and Dragon NaturallySpeaking Speech Recognition Software

Physicians Using Dragon Medical - Looking for the Best Electronic Health Record (EHR / EMR)?