> Tech Support DuJour - Play that Back, How to Play Back your Dictations
Josh Stewart
post Jun 16 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,792
Which Program?: Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Where are you Located: West Palm Beach, Florida

Issue: I am a responsible for making corrections to my supervisorís dictations, how can I be sure of exactly what he said? We have Dragon NaturallySpeaking v8 Medical.

Resolution: Because misrecognitions often look very different from what you said, Dragon NaturallySpeaking v8 lets you play back your dictation so you can more easily identify what you meant to say. You can play back dictation while you are looking at the text in the document or while you are making corrections.

To play back dictation in a document

Make sure you have the Extended Toolbar open so you can see the "Correction" "Play" "Stop" "FF" "RR" Buttons available. To open the Dragon NaturallySpeaking extended Toolbar; click the two down arrows in the right hand corner of the NaturallySpeaking Toolbar.

user posted image

To listen to your recorded dictation:

1. Select the line and/or paragraph and click the play button (blue triangle) on the NaturallySpeaking Toolbar.

user posted image

Or

Select or move the insertion point to the words you want to play back.

Say "Play That Back" to play selected text, or say one of the following commands:

1. "Play Back Line"
2. "Play Back Paragraph"
3. "Play Back Document"
4. "Play Back Screen"
5. "Play Back Window"
6. "Play Back to Here"
7. "Play Back from Here"

To stop playback, either click in the document window, click the Stop Playback button on the Extras toolbar of the DragonBar, or press the Escape key.

Speech input cannot be received during playback, thus you cannot stop playback by voice unless you have a full duplex sound card.

Thanks,

Josh

--------------------
Josh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dwlazan
post Jul 8 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,204

Josh,

I keep voice playback available when dictating, so that if I select "Correct That", I get DNS 8 to playback my selection (either the last dictated phrase, or a highlighted phrase).

However, I have been experiencing increasing nonresponse by DNS to playing back my selections, in addition to experiencing continued accuracy degredation -- a problem Ingram has repeatedly tried to help me address, with no good insight ever received fro ScanSoft. I had been receiving "User file save" errors, in which DNS 8 would not save to the proper, although do not receive that error quite so much now. I am, however, convinced that DNS is still not saving corrections routinely; specific phrases saved in multiple variations (via Edit Words, Save that as a Phrase, etc.) do not preserve my corrections/additions.

Perhaps you could do a tech update on "File Maintainence" to preserve accuracy? Back with DNS 3.52, I would repeatedly reboot and defrag my computer to keep DNS clean. Now, I feel like I have to re-enroll as a new user every other month!

Any thoughts?

David W. Lazan, M.D.

--------------------
David W. Lazan, M.D.

+Quote Post
Ingram
post Jul 11 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,486
Where are you Located: Williamsburg, Virginia

Did you try adding the 'automatic playback on selection' option in 'correction' tab of your user profile's options?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dwlazan
post Jul 11 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Yep -- I've always kept that checked, since way back to ver 3.52; the lack of playback upon correction of selection for playback is sporadic...

--------------------
David W. Lazan, M.D.

+Quote Post
Josh Stewart
post Jul 12 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(dwlazan @ Jul 11 2005, 04:56 PM)
Yep -- I've always kept that checked, since way back to ver 3.52; the lack of playback upon correction of selection for playback is sporadic...
[right][snapback]211819[/snapback][/right]

Dr. Lazan,

Check the amount of disk space you have reserved for playback, it's possible that you may simply need to increase the amount of memory needed for playback.

The amount of disk space needed for playback can be adjusted on your Dragon toolbar, Tools/Options/Data. The default is 40MB. I have mine set to 150MB, I never have a problem.

Also, what word processing application are you working in?

--------------------
Josh

+Quote Post
dwlazan
post Jul 12 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #6

Josh -

Thanks for the reply; I just changed my reserved disk space to 150MB, and will see what happens. I am currently dictating into MS Word, and generally, never have more than Word and DNS open at a time. John Ingram previously felt that occassional glitches I was running into might have been due to having multiple instances of Word open at once; I often start some patient notes, then just minimze them as I begin to work on seeing the next office patient. Its real hard to tell if this is an issue; when I followed Ingram's suggestions and closed each instance, woring with only one document at a time, the same error messages would occur.

BTW -- are you now so fond of the Plantronics CS50 to make it your mike of choice? (I need to get back with e and finally do some upgrading re: mics and possibly TPCs!)

--------------------
David W. Lazan, M.D.

+Quote Post
Josh Stewart
post Jul 12 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #7

Dr. Lazan,

About two months ago, I ran into a few issues with Dragon 8 and Microsoft Word 2003. I resolved these issues by doing the following:

Within Microsoft Word

Go to Help/About Microsoft Word/Disabled Items - Make sure that there are no Dragon Files being disabled by Microsoft Word.

Go to Tools/Options/Security/Macro Security - Set the macro security level to medium, this should ensure eliminate a few conflicts Dragon could have with Microsoft Word.

Keep me posted.

Best wishes,

Josh

--------------------
Josh

+Quote Post
dwlazan
post Jul 20 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #8

Josh -

I missed this last note from you (never received the usual email notification). I changed my macro security to medium, but noted no disabled items...

--------------------
David W. Lazan, M.D.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 10:50 PM

We Recommend Using Dragon Medical and Dragon NaturallySpeaking Speech Recognition Software

Physicians Using Dragon Medical - Looking for the Best Electronic Health Record (EHR / EMR)?